Sunday, November 2, 2008

Long Time No See.

I really can't remember that last time that I could sit down and not think about school or anything revolving about it. School is just consuming our lives so much right now that I think it is pure madness. It is insane. I remember hearing the older grades complain about how AP Bio was death, and they were not kidding. It is KILLER. This past week was crazy, and we haven't even begun to prepare for AP exam stuff yet. Just that one class consumes nearly my whole day.
On another note, November 4th is just around the corner. Maybe it was because I was a lot younger and didn't really understand politics, but I swear when I was younger, there was not as much hype as there is in this election. Then again, I thought the Olympics were like nothing 4 years ago. There seems to be so much going on in this election, and there is so much media attention on everything. The SNL parodies, huge celebrity endorsements, and the whole 'Rock the Vote' campaign. In a way, I personally think those celebrity endorsements for a certain candidate is a bad thing. Media has this way of swaying a crowd to do anything, and it doesn't really cause a person to think about who they are voting for and why. Some people would just vote for a person because their favorite celebrity is voting for them.
Also, there is the Prop 8 situation. I mean seriously, I never thought that America would have to come to this decision. I know that many people want gay rights legalized, but aren't they forgetting that America was built on Christian principles. Now they want to change the constitution and expand the definition of marriage? Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with wanting to protect your own rights. And I am not against suppressing the rights of gays/lesbians, but I think the fact that Prop 8 even has to be proposed is just wrong. Seriously, what has America come to? Like Mrs. Carlson said in class, I respect however they want to live and whatever they want to do, and they can have a domestic partnership that is recognized by the law, but it cannot be qualified as a "marriage". I think that is a sacred term that only applies to a man and woman, and it should definitely not be changed.
I am really afraid as to what is going to happen if Prop 8 is voted against. There seems to be so much media that says that saying yes on Prop 8 is wrong, and that influences so much of America. I am so afraid of the United States falling apart because we have proven ourselves to be very unstable right now. I think if people don't vote yes on Prop 8, it really will signify the beginning of the end for the United States. That may sound so dramatic, but if people vote no on Prop 8, who know what kind of laws they are going to want to change later on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

agreed. marriage is NOT marriage by any other name.

Melissa Yam said...

I can't believe it's all over, Rosanna! Well, I guess you can say it's the beginning. It's gonna be all roller-coaster from here I think. You know, we have lived through some very historical times, 9/11, first black president, and it's going to be more. Exciting and scary huh.

Prop 8 passed. I feel there's hope for the future.

My mother is getting a kick out of Obama's election. She tells the customers the prices are doubled or something, and they go like why. "It's time for a change, duh."